B.A.S.I.C. NEWSLETTER # 113
Our sister church in the Democratic Republic of Congo faces a lot of inquiries of pastors to join. But once they find out there is not salary and other benefits they pull back. This is not new in any of our sister churches. We have seen this over and over. But in Congo it has been to a larger extent. The important thing is that the inquirers are taken through our teachings. The brothers in Congo have taken renewed effort in translating our materials into Swahili and French. We hope that soon there will be copies of many materials typeset to be copied. Some of these we have on our website www.lutheranmissions.org and the others will be put on when done.
In the BELC there are district chairmen for the different districts. Pastor D. Paul, who is also president of the BELC, gave a report on seven of the districts as follows. It should be remembered that when he gives the numbers of pastors and congregations this includes both those in fellowship and those in study who have to go through the catechism, 14 pamphlets on our church and other points. The remaining districts’ reports will be in part 2.
“We are very happy to present the annual report of the year 2006-2007. The BELC districts of Uthukottai, Vaniyambadi, Chennai, and Tiruvallur are in Tamil Nadu State. Koppedu, Sri Kalahasti, and Chittor districts are in Andhra Pradesh State. Our aim and objective is teaching and preaching the pure Word of God and saving souls through the Word and Sacrament.
- 26 pastors serve under Uthukottai District in 26 congregations and 11 preaching points.
- 29 pastors serve under Vaniyambadi District in 35 congregations and 17 preaching points. T. Sampath is chairman of these two districts.
- 39 pastors serve under Chennai District in 47 congregations and 22 preaching points.
- Tiruvallure District was recently opened with 26 pastors. These men have come to us from Tamil Ev. Luth. Church and Church of Christ. V. Rajamani is chairman of these two districts.
- 26 pastors serve under the Sri Kalahasti District in 35 congregations.
- 26 pastors serve under the Chittoor District in 28 congregations. B. Bhasker is chairman of these two districts.(It should be mentioned that at the pastoral conference a letter was received of inquiry to form a new district with men from the South Andhra Lutheran Church in Naidupet.)
- 26 pastors serve under the Koppedu District in 32 congregations. D. Paul is in charge of this district.(It should be mentioned that he would like to begin a new district with inquirers in Tirutani.)
These pastors are conducting regular Sunday worship services and Sunday school. 3998 children are taught in these Sunday schools. Weekday services are also held and catechism study takes place also. Twelve church building projects were undertaken with nine complete and three under construction.
We have inaugurated Martin Luther Bible School, a two year course at Nagalapuram on Feb. 20th with 17 students. Five pastors teach in our MLBS with D. Paul the main teacher. Classes are held from Monday to Thursday. Gospel team work is done by these students. Our team workers use Luther’s Small Catechism and New Testaments in Tamil and Telugu in outreach giving to hindus. We have seen fruit from this effort. There are many requests for the materials.
The VBS program is aimed at reaching rural children during the summer. Our Mission Helpers trip from the CLC-USA was very useful for these VBS classes. Our Mission Helpers worked also to strengthen pastors and believers in the Word of God.
In the name of our Triune God we have carried out the plans and programs. Please pray for us and our soul winning and gaining ministry. Let us go to God’s throne of grace continuously in these days of prayer.”